More than half of Canadian women have experienced at least one incident of sexual or physical violence in their lifetime, according to Statistics Canada.
At the Assaulted Women’s Helpline our mission is to continue to provide the critical resources to the thousands of women who call us each year experiencing abuse — and you can help too.
From barbeques to golf tournaments, garage sales to galas, bake sales to wine tasting parties– no event is too big or too small. Community support is key to our success, and we sincerely appreciate the efforts it takes to organize and hold an event on our behalf!
In linking these events to fundraising efforts, you can help make a difference in the lives of thousands of women and children in Ontario each year — while treating your friends, family or colleagues to some fun at the same time!
In order to help your event run smoothly, we have created event guidelines and event tips and ideas for fundraisers held on behalf of the Assaulted Women’s Helpline. We also have a Fundraiser Event Agreement which allows us to best support your efforts and ensures we are doing all the due diligence required by the Canada Revenue Agency in running our fundraising activities.
Here are some examples of the fundraising projects that groups or individuals can carry out successfully:
- A sports event where the gate proceeds are donated to the Assaulted Women’s Helpline
- A benefit bring-your-own-dish international dinner serving food, prepared by group members, from the cuisine of different countries
- A raffle of a donated prizes such as a lavish cake or a travel voucher
- A garden party or outdoor fair combining music, food, games and entertainment
- A public auction of used items (pens, books, furniture) donated by writers, political figures, and other celebrities
- A sale of local art, donated antiques or second-hand books
- An event in which the participant is sponsored to walk, run, ride, skate, swim in aid of AWHL
Assaulted Women’s Helpline’s Role in Your Event
Once your event has been approved and our Fundraiser Event Agreement has been signed, the Assaulted Women’s Helpline can offer the following assistance to support your event:
- Advice and ideas on the planning of your event
- Advertise your event on www.awhl.org
- Promote your event through social media on our Facebook and Twitter pages
- Provide an Assaulted Women’s Helpline representative to attend your event (requires advanced notice and cannot be guaranteed)
- Allow the use of the Assaulted Women’s Helpline logo
- Provide support materials, such as Assaulted Women’s Helpline brochures and outreach materials to be distributed at your event
- Provide some Assaulted Women’s Helpline branded décor/promotional materials such as balloons, stickers and posters
- Provide a letter of support from the Assaulted Women’s Helpline to validate the authenticity of the event and its organizers
- Assistance with setting up online donation pages and pledge raising tools for your event (if applicable)
- Loan locked donation boxes (if available)
- Issue official tax receipts for monetary donations over $20.00 to the Assaulted Women’s Helpline from individuals attending your event (according to Canada Revenue Agency regulations) and only if full contact information and address is provided
- Issue thank you letters to your supporters
Please consider hosting or organizing a fun event of your own to help raise money to fund the Helpline and awareness for a cause that affects so many.
Call us at (416) 364-4144 x236 to discuss your idea and complete our Fundraiser Event Proposal form.